In order to improve commerce for everyone at Akira, we collect and use information about you, our customers, and the people we serve.
Customers who use Akira to power their business Customers who purchase from a business powered by Akira technology Visitors to Akira’s websites, or anyone who contacts Akira customer service.
Trust is the premise of the Akira platform and it involves trusting that we will do the right thing with your information. There are three core values that guide us in the development of our products and services. These values should help you better understand how we think about your information and privacy.
- Your information belongs to you. We carefully analyze what information we need to provide our services and try to limit the information we collect to what we really need. As far as possible, we delete or anonymize this information when we no longer need it. During the development and refinement of our products, engineers work closely with the privacy and security teams to ensure that privacy is considered in the design. Throughout this process, our fundamental principle is that your data belongs to you, and our goal is to use it only for your benefit.
- We protect your information from others. When there are outside requests, we refuse to share your personal information unless you authorize us to do so or we are legally required to do so. When we are legally required to share your personal information, we notify you in advance unless the law prohibits it.
- We help merchants and partners meet their privacy obligations. Many of Akira’s customers and partners do not have a dedicated privacy team and it is important to us to help them meet their privacy obligations. To that end, we try to build our products and services in a way that makes them easy to use while respecting privacy. We also provide frequently asked questions, documentation and technical information on the most important privacy issues and answer privacy-related questions.
Why we process your information
Generally, we use your information when necessary to fulfill a contractual obligation (for example, in order to process your subscription payments to use the Akira Platform), or if we or someone we partner with needs to use your personal information for a business-related reason (for example, to provide you with a service). European law defines these reasons as “legitimate interests”. “Legitimate interests” include:
- risk and fraud prevention
- answering questions or providing other assistance
- helping merchants find and use applications in the app store
- provide and enhance products and services
- provide reports and statistics * test additional features or services
- assist with marketing, advertising and other communications
Processing of personal information for these “legitimate interests” only takes place after assessing the potential risks to your privacy-including providing full transparency about our privacy practices, giving you control over your personal information when necessary, limiting the information we store and use, to whom we send the information, how long we store it, or the technical measures we use to protect your information.
Among the methods we may use to help Akira’s customers is the use of techniques such as “machine learning” (which Europeaan law defines as “automated decision making”) for the improvement of our services. When we use machine learning we may either (1) still involve a human in the process (and therefore it is not fully automated); or (2) use machine learning in a way that does not have significant privacy implications (for example, to determine the order in which apps appear when you visit the app store).
Your information rights
We believe you have the right to access and control your personal information, regardless of where you live. Depending on your use of Shopify, you may have the right to request access, correct, amend, modify, delete, move to another service provider, restrict or object to certain uses of your personal information (e.g., direct marketing). We will not charge you more or provide you with a different level of service if you exercise your privacy rights.
If you purchase something from an Akira store and wish to exercise these rights regarding your purchase information, you will need to contact the merchant with whom you have interacted directly. We act only as processors on behalf of merchants and it is not for us to decide how data is processed. We will, of course, assist our merchants in fulfilling these requests by providing them with the necessary tools and answering their questions.
If you are an Akira customer, partner, Akira user, Akira employee or other person with whom Akira has a direct relationship, please submit your data subject request through our online portal. Please note that if you send us a request relating to your personal data, we have to make sure that it is you before we can respond. For this purpose, we may use an external service to collect and verify identification documents.
If you are not satisfied with our response to a request, you may contact us to resolve the issue. You also have the right to contact the local data protection authority at any time.
Finally, since there is no consensus on the meaning of the “Do Not Track” signal, we do not respond in any particular way to these signals.
Where we send your information
We are a Mexican company, but we operate and process user data worldwide. To run our business, we may send your personal information outside of your country, province or region, including to the United States. This data may be subject to the laws of the countries to which we send it. When we do send your information to other countries, we take steps to protect it and try to send it only to countries with strict data protection laws.
How we protect your information
Our teams work tirelessly to protect your information and ensure the security and integrity of our platform. We also have independent auditors who evaluate the security of our data files and the systems that process financial information. However, we all know that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage can be 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal information.
How to contact us
If you would like to request information, clarification or make a complaint about how we process your personal data, please contact Akira Customer Service, or send us an email at one of the addresses below.
801 Brickell Ave. 8th Floor,
Miami, FL 33131